Syzygy

Thursday, May 20, 2010

I used to like wall-jumping

until I started playing the Super Metroid Redesign rom hack.

On the one hand, I admire people who make rom hacks. Different maps, different items, different controls and interface, and increased challenge all sound like a really great idea.

However, I must say that the people who come up with these have taking the challenge bit so far to the extreme that it is no longer fun. Harder bosses = yes. Spending the first half-hour of the first dungeon without a sword = crap.

I figured I'd at least give the Super Metroid rom hack the same amount of time I gave to the Zelda: A Link to the Past one, given that I quit last time because I didn't know where to go.

This time, I actually stumbled across the fake wall that was necessary to go through to progress. The one fake wall I remember from Super Metroid (the original) at least had an enemy on the other side so that you would notice it...

So I fight the boss, fall down the pit and finally get the wall-jump boots that will allow to me to climb back to the surface. Then, after 10 minutes of trying to wall-jump, I decided to quit. If wall-jumping is such a critical component of the game, it should not have to be this hard. (unless you don't want people to play your hack)

I am, however, amused that other people have wasted similar copious amounts of time on wall jumping in this game.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home